Below are some examples of a few “tailor-Made Itineraries” that we have designed and presented to various individual clients according to their specific needs/wants. They are purely examples of what we can do to meet client’s specific requirements. When looking at these, please remember, that they were made some time ago and the prices for each itinerary was valid at the time of compiling the itinerary and are not at today’s rates and prices.
Arrive OR Tambo International Airport – Johannesburg from Milan – Italy, own arrangements. On arrival atOR Tambo International Airport – Johannesburg you will walk the short distance to the domestic departures hall which is situated within the same building where you will board the 2 hour domestic flight to Cape Town International Airport. (If you can get a direct flight from Milan or any airport in Europe direct to Cape Town International this will save you the domestic fare from Johannesburg to Cape Town plus it is far more convenient. Please discuss this with your airline.) On arrival at Cape Town International Airport, Cape Town you will be met by a representative of Dive The Big 5 for the 1 hour road transfer to historic naval town of Simon’s Town. Rest of the afternoon free. During the course of the afternoon you will be contacted at the Mariner Guesthouse by Shark Explorers who will advise you of the pick up time the following morning for your Great White experience. Overnight at The Mariner Guesthouse on a bed and breakfast basis.
- Road transfer from Cape Town International Airport to the Mariner Guesthouse in Simon’s Town
- Accommodation at the Mariner Guesthouse on a bed and breakfast basis
- International air from Milan – Italy to OR Tambo International – Johannesburg or to Cape Town International Airport
- Domestic air from OR Tambo International Airport – Johannesburg to Cape Town International, if applicable
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
- Items of a personal nature
At a time advised the previous evening you will be collected from the Mariner Guesthouse by Shark Explorers, normally at 06h00, for the 10 minute road transfer to their dive shop. After signing the indemnities, dive planning and kitting up you will transfer to Simon’s Town small craft harbour to board the boat for Seal Island in False Bay. Shark Explorers run two Great White trips per day, weather permitting. One that departs Simon’s Town Harbour at first light and the second trip which departs Simon’s Town Harbour at about 12h00. The early trip is the recommended trip to take as Great White’s, being apex predators, are more active in the early mornings – that’s when they hunt. They are also active in the late afternoons, but because the sun set so early in Cape Town, by the time the sharks become active and start hunting its time to up anchor and head back to Simon’s Town Harbour. The early morning trip is by far the recommended trip to take!
Once in the vicinity of Seal Island, about an hours boat ride out of Simon’s Town Harbour, the crew deploy the decoy and troll very slowly just off the island. The decoy, which is cut in the shape of a seal, attracts the Great White’s and this is what causes them to breach. This is done at first light, when the Great White’s are hunting. Once the morning wears on and the activity slows down the boat is anchored off Seal Island and the cage is lowered. The rest of the morning is spent cage diving with the Great White’s. After the mornings activity you will return to Simon’s Town Harbour to arrive there at 12h00. On arrival at Simon’s Town Harbour, Shark Explorers will transfer you back to the Mariner Guesthouse. Rest of the afternoon is free. Mariner Guesthouse is very centrally situated on a hill overlooking Simon’s Town Naval Base and is in easy walking distance of excellent restaurants, the Naval Museum, The Toy Museum, the African Jack-ass Penguin Colony at Boulders Beach and the railway station which has regular ½ hour trains to Cape Town city centre. You will find loads to do in the afternoon after your Great White experience. Overnight at the Mariner Guesthouse on a bed and breakfast basis.
- Return road transfer from the Mariner Guesthouse to Simon’s Town Harbour
- Morning spent at sea in the vicinity of Seal Island in False Bay watching the Great White’s breach (Air Jaws) and cage diving with the Great White’s, weather permitting
- Services of a qualified Dive Master
- Full equipment hire
- Light refreshments on board
- Accommodation at the Mariner Guesthouse
- Lunch, dinner
- Additional touring in the afternoon
- Items of a personal nature
At a time to be advised, depending on your departure flight time to Johannesburg / Milan, you will be collected from the Mariner Guesthouse in Simon’s Town for the return road transfer to Cape Town International Airport where you will connect with the direct flight to Europe / Milan or with the 2 hour domestic flight to OR Tambo International Airport - Johannesburg to connect with the return flight home to Italy.. End of services.
- Road transfer from the Mariner Guesthouse – Simon’s Town to Cape Town International Airport
- Domestic flight from Cape Town International to OR Tambo International Airport – Johannesburg, if requited
- International flight from South Africa to Milan – Italy
- Lunch, dinner